Our Mission at the Penns Valley Youth Center is to provide 6th through 12th graders in our community with hope, worth and friendship.
We provide a fun and safe environment in order to encourage healthy habits and promote wise choices.
Teenage years are a crazy time. Do you remember when you were in high school? Increased after-school workload, increased commitment required from athletics, highly competitive collegiate entrance requirements all add to the mounting pressure facing high school and junior high students. Teenagers from every walk of life need a third place – a place outside of the home and the school – where they can relax, have fun, meet friends, and be themselves.
In addition, students who are bullied or come from broken homes suffer tremendously and struggle low with self worth, self confidence and the inability to have healthy relationships with their peers and adults.
We are fighting to change this. By providing a safe and fun environment, a place where the teenagers are valued and respected, we want to change these stats:
- Approximately 160,000 children a day stay home from school because they are afraid of being bullied. 86% of students said, “other kids picking on them, making fun of them or bullying them” causes teenagers to turn to lethal violence in the schools. [US Dept of Education]
- 43% of US children live without their father. [US Department of Census]
- 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. [Center for Disease Control]
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. [National Principals Association Report]
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes. [US D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census]
Don’t take our word for it! Here is what one of our students had to say:
The youth center is a wonderful place. It has helped me with issues that range from homework to stress. It is such an amazing place to come and see my friends and get away from the stress. Without the youth center I wouldn’t have any of the friends that I have today. I truly do not know how my life would be now with out the love and support that has been given to me by the leaders and students that are here. -Cierra Shawver